This week we focused on the word “Pass” for our theme. Lots of fun encounters came out of our brainstorming and the community also helped out quite a bit with the names for the eligible bachelors in Pass The Buck. We’ve got a few things in the works that we’re excited to talk about, but not ready to reveal it quite yet. To start, let’s take a look at this week’s DnD Creator Spotlight!
DnD Creator Spotlight
DM Resource: If you’re like me you struggle with taking notes while you’re in the moment. Arcane Library has a great video where Kelsey walks you through setting up your DM notebook for great results. Will it change how you take notes completely? Probably not, but it will help you think about your current process.
Artist: More homebrew monster inspiration this week from Gospo, who creates RPG related art and comics. Cartoony style with ghoulish monsters, Gospo’s creations are sure to get those creature wheels turning. Follow them on Instagram, Patreon, or RedBubble.
Podcast/Live Play: We love a good sea-based campaign, so when we see a group setting sail in a live play, we have to share it. 4 Rings Inn is 32 episodes into their Gilded Voyage campaign led by GM John (great name!). You can find all of their episodes on YouTube or keep up with them on Instagram.
Maker: Midnight Stray Candle Co. not only makes candles like “The Undertavern” and “The Halfling’s Haversack,” they also make Resin Dice that are suuuuper sparkly. These Neon Lights dice show off the brightness and sparkliness (not a word?) of what they put together. On the higher end pricewise, but sparklesssss. Midnight Stray Candle Co. on Instagram.
Have other creators we should feature? Let us know!
This Week’s Encounters
- Pass The Buck – An Omikyr woman is given the opportunity to select her husband, but not all of the bachelors are as they seem. Roleplay encounter for party levels 1-3.
- You Shall Not Pass! – Help a good-intentioned balor complete his final capstone project and earn his engineering degree in this series of skill challenges for players of any level.
- None Shall Pass – A DnD take on a Monty Python classic, The Black Knight is an imposing figure that blocks a bridge. For party level 1-3
- Pass the Torch – Help a blacksmith transport a sacred flame to another town, all while protecting it from the safety-conscious Smokey the Owlbear and his firefighting crew of woodland critters. This grassland/forest encounter is designed for player levels 4-7.
If you have a moment, we’d appreciate it if you could take a quick survey for feedback about what else you’d like to see in these weekly newsletters.
Other DnD Encounter Ideas That Didn’t Make It
- Bloated something
- “Pass Without a Trace” —new medicine that neutralizes your farts
- Town keeps fainting, light-headed, but they don’t know why…just can’t smell the sin in the air
Pass the Cell-by Date
- Person was found guilty of a crime, but was never arrested
- Now statute of limitations…they have 24 hours to bring this guy in
- Guy has already moved on with his life and his living someplace else
- Moral dilemma: he’s reformed, wasn’t arrested, let him live this new life or help the bumbling police bring him in
- Discount love potion
- Causes hypothermia as a side-effect
- Alchemist needs help making the love potion better/more potent…OR just help get it to the right market, e.g. creatures that love the cold/being cold
Pass with Flying Colors
- People trying to pass through a region that’s very protected
- But the people love rainbows, especially double-rainbows
- Devise a way to get everyone looking up and distracted at something beautiful like a double-rainbow (water + sun = rainbow?).
This Too Shall Pass
- A DnD Encounter based off an OK GO music video? Mayhaps.
- A Rube named Goldberg is attempting to make a machine that aids in digestion
- Spurred by his need to eat items that can’t be digested by the body
Pass It On
- Weird game of telephone across the realm
- OR one of those exchange games where you start with something small/useless and keep trading up for bigger and better items.
Xbox Game Pass
- Special item that lets you hunt all season long
- “X Box” Movement…populations of treasure-chest mimics have gotten out of hand, need to drop their population through controlled hunting.
- Wear camo gear that’s gray and looks like stone walls before entering a dungeon and go mimic-hunting
Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition
- A group of [DND GOD] zealots are preparing for war against rival group that is opposed
- Butter battle essentially
- Cults are really similar beside tiny differences
- Help them realize that they’re better together
Which of the above would you like to see built out into a more full encounter? Let us know below!